Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"A trip to Omaha" or "My friends are all runners"

Hello Runners!

I just flew in from Omaha and boy are my arms tired. But seriously...

I spent the weekend in Omaha visiting one of my best friends. We were pretty lazy all weekend but managed to log some miles and have a lot of fun. James was one of the first people I really bonded with at Murray State. We ran a lot of races side by side (though James usually beat me in the end).

I have a some really great race memories with James. There was a 10k on the track at Arkansas State University. We took turns leading a lap at a time until James finally out kicked me (of course). At the regional cross country meet my sophomore year, James and I were tied for dead last for the first half mile or so of the race (we both finished much better than that). At the OVC track and field championships my junior year, James and I took turns leading the 10k for the first mile. At one point we heard the race announcer, over the loudspeaker, saying that it looked like we were having a pretty good time. We didn't place very well, but like the man said we had a pretty good time. There was a meet at Vanderbilt that we ran unattached from the team. I wore a Batman T-shirt, and James wore a shirt that said "here comes the dummy" on the front and "there goes the dummy" on the back. Every lap people would yell "go dummy!" and "go Batman!" We both ran PRs that night.

Most of the really important people in my life are runners. Many of them are my former teammates. It's comforting to be a part of the "tribe". Those former teammates of mine are people I know I'll always be able to count on. Something about the "trial of miles" really bonds people together. Even when we weren't running we spent most of our time as a team. We'd be at a meet all day, stuck in a van together for a few hours, and still hang out when we got home. We spent countless hours goofing off in the locker room, inventing ridiculous games. The team was the best part of running in college. Not the races. Not the times. The team. I miss the team. I'm lucky to still have some great people to run with. But, nothing will ever be like being a Murray State Racer again.

I don't know if most runners are really great people, but I've been lucky to find some of the greatest. I wish everyone could have the "team" experience. I think the world would be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment