Monday, October 26, 2009

In the blink of an eye...

Hello Runners!

Today's topic is how fast things can go wrong...

My leg is starting to feel like a leg is supposed to. So, of course, on a run last week I managed to roll my left foot. I was pretty sure I had managed to break it in half. I rolled it one time in my college days, and ever since it has been a little touchy. I was just running along and stepped on a rock or something and... BAM!! Pain. I was furious! Finally back on track (kind of) and lost it again! I cut the run short and took the next day off. Luckily all seems to be well now.

It just goes to show you how all the preparation in the world can be derailed by a rock in the road. I was going for a very easy run the day before a half marathon a few years ago and stepped on a stick and rolled that same foot. I was, of course, in a state of panic. I managed to win the half, and my foot made it through ok. The panic was for nothing. I could have easily talked myself out of a good performance.

I guess one thing I've learned is that you can't control much outside of your body (or in it for that matter). There are going to be sudden tragedies. There are going to be colds. The weather is going to be terrible. You may even step on a rock and twist your foot. You'll run through the things you can and take time off when you need to. What I haven't learned is how to stay positive. It's one thing to say that these things are going to happen, and that they are just a part of running. It's another to believe that when it all goes wrong, but I'm working on it.

Keep it up!

Devin

No comments:

Post a Comment