Monday, November 23, 2009

Turkey Trottin

Hello Runners!

At the Turkey Trot on Saturday I got beat by a young man in high school and a 46 year old. I love this sport! (Not the being beat part. I am not really fond of that.) This is everyone's sport. A life long sport. Sometimes I feel bad for athletes in team sports. Once your high school or college career is over, chances are you'll never get that thrill again. A runner can compete just about every weekend for the rest of their life if they want. I think I still have quite a few years of improvement left, but even after that I'll be able to go out and compete against all the other old men in my age group and more importantly myself. This is a sport where I can pay my entry fee and race the best in the world. Not many athletes can say that. We runners are pretty lucky.

It was a beautiful morning for the race. I was a volunteer last year and nearly got blown away. Full results can be found here. Congratulations to Colin Johnson for picking up the win in very lonely fashion. It can be tough to win a race off the front and still run a good time. Evidently Colin doesn't know that. Congrats to Team R3's own Kate Hover for winning the women's race. Kate bounced back from a poor race at the Clarksville Half and strep throat to run a pretty impressive race. Running a good such race after a terrible one can be pretty hard too. Evidently Kate didn't know that. Congratulations to everyone else who came out, and thanks for supporting the local running scene.

I was pretty happy with my race. My time wasn't very good for me, but that was to be expected. More importantly I was closer to where I need to be mentally. Plus, it was more fun going to a race and spending time with friends than running by myself.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Keep it up!

Devin

No comments:

Post a Comment