Thursday, November 12, 2009

Still trying to find motivation

Hello Runners,

I should be back. My leg seems fine, I'm healthy, not a good excuse to be found. But, I just don't want it yet. Every night I set an alarm for 5:00 am so I can get up and run. Every morning, I reset it for 6:30 so I barely have time to finish a bowl of cereal and hit the road. So I have to run after work, and it seems like a chore. I helped pace a friend of mine in the Clarksville Half Marathon last weekend, and I thought I was pumped and ready to go after that. Nope...

Who am I? I am definitely not the same guy who was training for Memphis last year. I've retained a surprising amount of my fitness, but none of my drive. Once I start a run I am fine. The problem seems to be starting. I know once I string some consecutive days together it will get easier and easier, even routine. I know I'm happier when I'm running in the morning and logging a lot of miles. So why haven't I strung together many consecutive days? Why aren't I running in the morning and logging a lot of miles? I have no idea. That's just not who I am right now. Right now running 5 days a week (or even less) and only 5 miles a run (or even less) seems like enough.

What I do know is that it won't be enough for much longer. I know I can't quit (I've tried before). No matter who I am, he is a runner. Just like everything else in this sport, given time it is going to get better. I'll pick a race and get in shape. I'll run a race and get embarrassed back into serious training. I'll wake up one morning and my mind will be right. Running takes faith. Faith that all of these miles will be worth it. Faith that even though the weather is terrible, it'll be worth it. Most importantly faith in yourself. My faith is shaken, but not broken. Never broken.

I'll be the old me again...

Keep it up!

Devin

No comments:

Post a Comment