Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Getting there... Dreaming ahead

Hello Runners!

I am pretty proud of myself. I managed to get in six days of running last week while travelling for Thanksgiving. That should be a given, but I am happy with myself. It helps that I have always really liked running on holidays. There is nothing better than getting up on Thanksgiving or Christmas before anyone else has made it out of bed. It is nice to take a little time on a holiday to just enjoy a quiet moment out on the roads while most people are at home safe and sound. I vividly remember one early Christmas morning in Ohio. It had snowed all night, and not a creature was stirring (not even a mouse). I sailed down country snow covered roads and felt like the only person on the planet. I took the opportunity to work on my Jimmy Stewart impersonation. My times have gotten better since then, but the impression is just as bad as ever!

I am still not getting in many miles, but the routine is starting to come back.I'm even suffering bouts of runner's guilt if I don't head out for some miles. Runner's guilt seems to strike after my breakfast has settled, or when I see someone else running. Now that the routine is feeling more comfortable, it's time to start planning ahead...

I'm thinking a spring half marathon to get me bumping up the miles during the winter doldrums, then a fall marathon. If all goes well (hold on to your hats) Boston in April 2011.

It seems silly to be thinking about a race in 2011 but, I am one of those people who needs the big event on the calendar. I need to pick a big race, train, and pick another big race. I truly admire those of you who can run everyday for the pure enjoyment of logging miles. I am genuinely jealous of you. My absolute favorite are the people who come out and race and have no idea what their PR is. They are totally in the moment. I'm always looking ahead (to the next big race) or behind (comparing times with the past). Even when I am out logging miles I'm thinking about the next race instead of just enjoying the run. Maybe one day I'll enjoy the everyday part of training, but until then I'll be looking at running through binoculars.

Keep it up!

Devin

1 comment:

  1. Well hopefully we will see you on New Years at the R3 Resolution Run. Remeber to meet at the Island Bar and Grill 10am. Its free!

    ReplyDelete