Monday, September 21, 2009

A good day in Hopkinsville

Hello again runners,

R3 was out and about this weekend with some great results! A big congrats to all of the R3 runners who toed the line at the Hopkinsville YMCA Trot for Troops 5k and 10k. You can see the full results here. Kate Hover took home the gold in the women's 5k (and second overall!) while Mike Henchen ran away with the top prize in the 10k. James Holmes picked up a 2nd place age division award, which was good enough for a 4th overall in the 10k. Mike Kelley picked up the win in his age division and netted an 8th place overall in the 10k. Congrats to all of the runners!

It was a nice overcast day, but was a little windy. It threatened to rain all morning, but luckily the wet stuff held off. The folks at the Hopkinsville YMCA did a wonderful job putting on the race. In fact, I didn't hear any complaints at all. Good job guys!

I was there to help with the timing. Timing races can be pretty stressful! First, you always feel like you are missing out on the run. Second, no matter how prepared the organizers are, there are always some issues. Murphy's law in action! Runners want their times in a hurry and accurately. Even the weather can make things a nightmare! These are all things I never considered before I helped with timing. So the next time you are at a race give a big thank you to the timing folks, and take it easy on them. Chances are they have been putting out fires all morning.

As I mentioned in my last post I have been dragging around a nagging injury all year. I actually made an appointment to get it checked out! I'm pretty nervous about finding out what is going on. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one! I've put it off so long that it will be a little embarrassing to tell the Dr. how long I've been trying to run through it. I just hope he understands runners, and doesn't think I'm a complete idiot. I'll give a status update in the next post...

See you on the roads,

Devin

No comments:

Post a Comment